New HampshireDepartment of JusticeOffice of the Attorney General

Victims' Compensation Program Frequently Asked Questions

Questions asked of the Victims' Compensation Program..

Who Can Get Help?

What Must I do To Get Help?

How Long Will It Take?

What Costs May Be Paid?

How To Contact Our Office

Commission Meeting Dates

back to topWho Can Get Help?

  • Any person who sustains physical and/or mental injuries in a felony crime which occurred in New Hampshire on or after 11/02/1989 or a misdemeanor crime that occurred in New Hampshire on or after 7/1/1997.
  • Any person who sustains personal injury as a result of persons driving under the influence of alcohol or controlled substances in New Hampshire on or after 11/02/1989.
  • Immediate family members of a homicide victim who was killed on or after 11/02/1989.
  • New Hampshire residents injured by any of the above crimes in a state without a compensation program may also be eligible.

back to topWhat Must I do To Get Help?

  • You must report the crime to local law enforcement within 5 days, unless there is a reasonable explanation why you did not.
  • You must file an application with the commission within 1 year from the date of the crime, unless there is a reasonable explanation why you could not.
  • You must cooperate with the reasonable requests of law enforcement officers and prosecutors in their investigation or prosecution of the crime.
  • You must incur at least $100.00 in out-of-pocket loss or liability as a direct result of the crime.
  • You must not have contributed in any way to the injury or death.
  • You must not have been assisting in or committing a criminal act causing your injuries.

back to topHow Long Will It Take?

The receipt of your claim is acknowledged within 2 weeks of your submission. However, it may take several months or longer to determine if you can be helped by the program. You can help speed up the process by responding as soon as possible to requests for additional information/documentation. Once all required documentation has been received from law enforcement and providers, your claim will be brought before the next meeting of the Victims' Assistance Commission.

back to topWhat Costs May Be Paid?

The program can help with the following types of crime-related losses which are not covered by insurance or other resources, in an amount not to exceed a total of $25,000.00 per victim ($10,000.00 for crimes prior to
September 14, 2009):

  • Medical and dental care;
  • Mental health counseling (up to $3,000.00 at a cap of $75.00/hour for individual therapy and $35.00/hour for group therapy);
  • Lost wages;
  • Loss of support for the dependents of homicide victims;
  • Funeral and burial costs for homicide victims (up to $5,000.00 for funeral/burial and $500 for grave marker; and
  • Relocation expenses (Need to meet with Crisis Center Advocate)
  • 10 days of temporary emergency needs working through the crisis center
  • Other eligible out-of-pocket expenses.

The program does not have authority to award money for property loss or pain and suffering.

back to topHow To Contact Our Office

New Hampshire Victims' Compensation Program
Department of Justice
33 Capitol Street
Concord, NH 03301-6397
Telephone: (603) 271-1284
Toll Free: 1-800-300-4500 (in NH only)
TDD Access Relay NH 1-800-735-2964

back to topCommission Meeting Dates

The meeting schedule for the Commission is:

  • January 17, 2019
  • February 21, 2019
  • March 21, 2019
  • April 18, 2019
  • May 16, 2019
  • June 20, 2019
  • July 18, 2019
  • August 15, 2019
  • September 19, 2019
  • October 17, 2019
  • November 21, 2019
  • December 19, 2019


Department of Justice Office Building
33 Capitol Street
Concord, NH
(See Receptionist on the Main Floor)

If you need more information, please contact:

NH Victims' Compensation Program
33 Capitol Street
Concord, NH 03301-6397
(603) 271-1284 or

New Hampshire Department of Justice
33 Capitol Street | Concord, NH | 03301
Telephone: 603-271-3658