New Hampshire Department of Justice
New Hampshire Department of Justice - an official New Hampshire Government Web site
Smaller text size Reset text size Larger text size

News Release

For Immediate Release
October 2, 2013

Jeffery A. Strelzin, Senior Assistant Attorney General
(603) 271-3671

Officer Involved Shooting Incident in Manchester, New Hampshire on Monday, September 30, 2013

New Hampshire Attorney General Joseph A. Foster, New Hampshire State Police Colonel Robert L. Quinn, and Manchester Police Chief David J. Mara, announce that further information is available regarding an investigation into a fatal officer involved shooting incident, which occurred on September 30, 2013.

At approximately 6:30 pm on Monday, September 30th, 2013, a New Hampshire State Police trooper stopped a Chevrolet Monte Carlo that was being driven erratically on I-89 southbound. The driver was Wendy M. Lawrence (age 45), of Canterbury, New Hampshire. Lawrence produced a non-driver's ID and said she had a valid license. The trooper took Lawrence's ID and went back to his cruiser to check on her license. He ran her record and confirmed that Lawrence was a Habitual Offender and that her license was under suspension. As the trooper was receiving those results, Lawrence suddenly drove off in her car speeding southbound toward Concord.

The trooper briefly pursued Lawrence and then broke off his pursuit. The trooper later came upon Lawrence's car at the end of I-89 where he saw that the car was sideways in the road. As Lawrence drove away, she almost hit a person who was on the highway. Lawrence proceeded onto the I-93 southbound ramp and drove off at a high rate of speed down I-93.

Several State Police troopers assisted in trying to apprehend Lawrence and were behind her as she turned off I-93 into Manchester. Troopers in marked police cruisers followed Lawrence to the intersection of Dave Street and Kennard Road in Manchester, where the police attempted to stop Lawrence. It was at that location where a trooper discharged his firearm and fatally wounded Lawrence. She was later transported to the Elliot Hospital in Manchester where she was later pronounced dead. The circumstances that led to Lawrence being shot are currently under investigation by the New Hampshire Attorney General's Office, the New Hampshire State Police, and the Manchester Police Department.

The State's Chief Medical Examiner, Dr. Thomas A. Andrew, conducted an autopsy on Wendy Lawrence today and determined that she had been struck by gunfire four times. Her cause of death was a single gunshot wound to the chest. Her manner of death was homicide, meaning that her death was caused by another person.

New Hampshire Department of Justice | 33 Capitol Street | Concord, NH | 03301
Telephone: 603-271-3658