New Hampshire Department of Justice
New Hampshire Department of Justice - an official New Hampshire Government Web site
Smaller text size Reset text size Larger text size

News Release

For Immediate Release
June 16, 2010

Senior Assistant Attorney General Jeffery A. Strelzin, Chief
Homicide Unit
(603) 271-3671

Update on June 6, 2010 Homicide in Meredith

New Hampshire Attorney General Michael A. Delaney, State Police Colonel Robert Quinn and Meredith Police Chief Kevin Morrow announce that further details are available in connection with the June 6, 2010 homicide in Meredith, New Hampshire.

On Sunday, June 6, 2010, shortly after midnight, Meredith police officers responded to 911 calls regarding an incident at a residence at 16 Lake Street, Unit 1A, in Meredith. After searching the home, the officers discovered a deceased adult male inside. That person was identified as Robert A. Hart, Jr., (age 47) of Meredith, New Hampshire.

Upon further investigation, the police have learned that Hart was a perpetrator who was killed during what appears to have been a home invasion and attempted robbery. The incident began when a resident inside the home, David Rivera (age 18), formerly of Massachusetts, was awoken from his sleep by a man wearing a mask and carrying a baseball bat. That man with the bat was later identified as Robert A. Hart, Jr. As Rivera began to struggle with Hart, a second man appeared in the bedroom. This second man was later identified as Michael Noucas (age 26) of Meredith, New Hampshire. Noucas was also wearing a mask and was armed with a knife.

Noucas joined the struggle with Hart and Rivera and eventually, Rivera managed to get the knife Noucas had and use it against Hart and Noucas. Hart was stabbed repeatedly and collapsed in the bedroom where he was later found dead. Noucas fled the home and went outside where he was taken in a friend's car to the lobby of the Meredith Police Department. Rivera fled the home as well and went to a nearby phone and called 911 for help.

As a result of the incident, Richard A. Hart, Jr., was killed. Michael Noucas suffered stab wounds and was hospitalized after the incident. David Rivera received non-life threatening injuries and was treated and released at a local hospital on the night of the incident.

The investigation is still ongoing.

New Hampshire Department of Justice | 33 Capitol Street | Concord, NH | 03301
Telephone: 603-271-3658