New Hampshire Department of Justice
New Hampshire Department of Justice - an official New Hampshire Government Web site
Smaller text size Reset text size Larger text size

Consumer Sourcebook

Preface | User's Guide | Table of Contents | Print Sourcebook Adobe Acrobat Reader Symbol

Extra Note: Student Loans

Having trouble with your student loans? The US Department of Education's Web site has information that can help you with repayment.

Different agencies deal with different types of student loans in default:

  • Federal Family Education Loans (FFEL), including some Stafford and PLUS loans, are turned over to a New Hampshire state agency for collection.
  • For direct loans under the William D. Ford Direct Loan Program, which can also include some PLUS and Stafford loans, the collection agency is the US Department of Education's Debt Collection Service.
  • Federal Perkins Loans in default are either collected by the school or assigned to the US Department of Education for collection.

If you are not sure which type of loan you have, check your promissory note (the loan contract). If you have been receiving collection notices, the name of the collection agency should be provided on the notice. Or you can call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-433-3243. If your loan is a William D. Ford Federal Direct Student Loan, contact the Direct Loan Servicing Center for information.

  • One thing to remember is that, as of October 1998, some types of student loans cannot be discharged or forgiven through bankruptcy.

Adobe Acrobat Reader Symbol Adobe Acrobat Reader format. You can download a free reader from Adobe.

New Hampshire Department of Justice | 33 Capitol Street | Concord, NH | 03301
Telephone: 603-271-3658